Monday, July 30, 2012
- 2 mm Pyrex rod
- 8 mm Pyrex tubing
- # 1 tip
- Matches/mats/towel/glass cutter/screen
- Blow tube/cork
T- Seal (8 mm tubing):
- Cut 2 pieces of 8 mm tubing (8" and 6" piece).
- Use a # 1 tip.
- Cork one end, of each piece of tubing.
- Heat the middle of the 8" piece of tubing and blow a small bulge.
- Heat the tip of the small bulge and blow out the bulge (see last Monday's lesson).
- Flint knap the rough pieces, leaving a small part of the small bulge.
- Heat the end of the small, 8 mm tubing and the hole in the other tubing, remove from heat, push them together then slightly pull them apart.
- Heat one side and allow to collapse
- Remove from heat and blow to diameter of surrounding tubing.
- Slowly, repeat for the other three sides.
Patching holes (2 mm rod):
- Use a #1 tip.
- Heat the area with the hole and the 2 mm rod.
- Touch the rod to the hole, remove from the flame, and pull off the rod.
- Heat the area with the hole, remove from the flame, and blow the tubing to the surrounding diameter.
- Remove any excess glass with a cold piece of glass.
- Continue heating and blowing until the tubing is uniform.
If you had taken my "Scientific Glass Blowing Class", up until now, everyone has a "F". Once you've completed, todays lesson sucessfuly, you now have a "D".