Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Song Birds

     This was the first pattern I have ever tatted.  The first time tatting, I used a shuttle.  When I was reading over the steps on how to shuttle tat a ring, I somehow skipped over the part of the flip.  I made the bottom ring, without flipping my stitches, and closed the ring.  While studying the picture, it seemed like I should split my stitches to get the beak to turn out right.  I tatted the top part, not flipping the stitches, and finger tatted the bottom of the head.  Not realizing it at the time, I was making a split ring.  I thought I had the rings down, so on to making the chains.  Studying the instructions, that flip thing came up.  I gave it a few tries and no flip.

     At that time I found something on needle tatting and thought it looked easy enough to learn, then teach Mom.  So I went to the local fabric store and bought a 5" doll needle.  Boy was I hooked!!  A couple years latter, I picked up the shuttle.  Reading the instructions on making a ring, this flip thing came up.  On the third try I finally got it!!  

     Lately, I started tatting the little birds to use up the extra thread on my shuttles.  They developed into a flock of singing birds.  Here are 44 song birds for the Church's Hymnals.  The pattern is called "Bird on a Wire", by Sherren Morgan.  All are done in Lizbeth size 20 thread.



55 of 100 motif challenge.




     When we started needle tatting, I made this heart to wear so our tatting tools are at our fingertips.  It constists of a size 10 crochet hook, scissors, and a pick.  Mine was made with glow-in-the-dark polymer clay.




     Mom has tried the needle a few times.  She's usually so busy, she doesn't keep with it yet.  Maybe someday.



3 comments:

  1. Your little birds are so awesome!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your early adventures in tatting. I'm always inspired by hearing someone else's story. Beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete