Sunday, November 7, 2021

17

 17

     While scrolling through Facebook, another annoying ad came across my feed.  Usually, I scroll pass or if I have time, I'll delete them.  This time a cute, little, 8 - tine "thumb piano" came up.  I was a little intrigued with this and "Googled" it to find out what it was.  I listened to the sound on YouTube and it wasn't a bad sound.  I did a little research and listened to one, with 17 tines.  WOW, this had a beautiful sound.  It sounded like a harp.  

     I did a little more research to find out what are good qualities for a thumb piano (kalimba) and the top picks came up with a Gecko kalimba with 17 tines (keys), in "C".  I found a new one on eBay and I love it.  It's small and easy to handle in my small hands and easy to travel with.

      While searching for all the music I could download, I came across a resonating chain (tremolo).  This lays across the tines and vibrates when the tines are plucked.  This is supposed to sound like rain.  Someone suggested  a beaded chain vibrates the most.  I happened to have a beaded-style chain and gave it a try.  It sounded a little "tinny," but I'm a beginner and may sound better once I improve.  (I'll also, try different styles of chains.)  The chain was a little boring, so I made a little charm to add to it.



Comes with a hard case


Stickers to help find keys


The the middle tine is "Middle C."


The notes are the same as the white keys on the piano.


During my research, I discovered there is a 34-key kalimba.  The upper 17 tabs are the sharps, flats and four of the base notes.   On the wish list.


5 comments:

  1. Here in Zimbabwe there is a musical instrument like this. I’ve gone blank on the name, but it’s not kalimba. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, mbira is what I was thinking of.

    ReplyDelete