Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Embellishment Tatting

Embellishment Tatting

    For those who are afraid to start tatting on a piece of old jewelry, here is another lesson.  Diane was so kind to send me some rings, she had found.  The rings were stretchy rings, that I took apart.   The focal portion was 1.5" X 1.75", with 28 scallops on the edge.

Designing:
     1.)  Look at the colors in the piece of jewelry.
     2.)  This one has turquoise, rhinestones and silver.
     3.)  Incorporating theses colors, I'm using Size 20, Lizbeth, Blue Rivers Glads, silver-lined 11/0 seed beads and 4 mm, faceted, turquoise beads.
     4.)  I loaded up the thread with a ton of seed bead (146) and 28 - 4 mm beads (one for each scallop).
     5.)  Now look at the design of the piece.  You want to incorporate this into the tatting. 
     6.)  Notice the center is a turquoise stone (4 mm beads).
     7.)  The next round in rhinestones (silver-lined seed beads).
     8.)  The outer round is scalloped...so lets get started.
    

Tatting

    1.)  My design is all chains, so I loaded up the shuttle with 2 yards of thread, adding the 4 mm beads to the shuttle.


     2.)  Where to start tatting.
     3.)  I want things to last, so I start away from where the bail will be (12 'o clock position.)
     4.)  I also don't want your eye to draw near that area
( 3, 6, 9 'o clock position.)
     5.)  Therefore, I'm going to start around 7-8 'o clock position.
     6.)  On the foundation round, I don't like to add beads.  Especially, beads off the core thread...things need to last.  I don't want the beads to wear the finish on my jewelry and I don't want my beads getting scratched up.
     7.)  For this piece I started with 4 Catherine-Wheel joins (cwj), in the scallop, 1 ds, 4 Catherine-Wheel joins in the next scallop and continue around.  Lock join to the 1st thread, attaching in the back.
     8.)  Noticed I didn't add any picots anywhere.  I'm sure this is a big No-No, but I pull a slight one as I go.  My picot-joins are, always, very small, so this doesn't effect the tatting.  I pull the picot, very slightly, using a small size 10 darning needle.


     9.)  Next round:   During this round, I will pull an extremely small picot (just enough to get a size 15 or 16 crochet hook in).
    10.)  Tat:  1 - (very small) 1, slide up a 4 mm bead (core thread) and 5 seed beads (working thread), 1 - (very small) 1. 
    11.)  Lock join between the last cwj and the 1ds (foundation round)...you will pull a picot here.
    12.)  Tat 1 ds and Lock join between the 1 ds (foundation round) and the cwj...you will pull another picot here.
    13.)  Repeat steps 10 - 12, around, joining to the very small picot from the last 1-1.
    14.)  Once done, you can cut and hide ends or perform a split chain.
    15.)  I hate hiding ends! so I performed the split chain...lock join to the next picot join, then lock join to the starting point.  Work a double stitch (this is part of the split chain) then work one more double stitch.  Join to the first picot, from this round.


    16.)  This round has formed a scalloped look.  Do not try to straighten this round.  This is imitating the scallop edge of the original piece of jewelry.


    17.)  Final round:  this will consist of chains and the bail.  I usually wind my thread to floss-cards.  This way I can use it as a shuttle, for a small amount of tatting, plus they store well.  The bail consist of a floating ring, so this comes in handy.
    18.)  Tat 13 ds, lock join to the next picot. 
    19.)  Tat around until you get to the point to add the bail.  I want things to last, so I add finding to a tatted bail instead of a picot.  Picots can wear, fray and stretch.  A tatted bail has substance to it.
    20.)  The chain, before the center of the piece (the center is between the chains) should be 8 - 5.  Remember, very small picots.
    21.)  Next chain (other side of the piece), 5 ds,
            floating ring:  1 ds, slide up seed bead from the floss-card, 1 ds + (join to the picot from the last chain made) [1 ds, slide up seed bead] do this 5 times; 1ds.  Close ring. 
            finish the chain with 8 ds.  Lock join to the next picot from the last round.
    22.)  Continue step 18 around.  Cut and hide ends.  This piece is suppose to have a scalloped look, so don't thy to flatten the ends.  You may adjust the chains to make it look uniform.
    23.)  Add a jump ring to the bail.  I want things to last so I added an oval jump ring instead of a round jump ring.  Round ones can spin and the ends could wear on the threads.


     My notes as I went along...hope this helps.  If you need help, designing a piece, don't be afraid to ask.  Thanks again, Diane, for the rings :)





12 comments:

  1. Interesting post, I am not afraid of tatting around brooches, it's nice to breath new life into an old item, I hate old clips that like to stick in my hand as I tat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, this is absolutely great ! Thank you for sharing in such detail. Easy to follow and very tempting to try - must find something I can use ....
    Beautiful, elegant piece, as always :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask.

      Delete
    2. Thanks :-))) Have slotted it for Jan 2017.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely stunning!!! :) Thank you so much for the lesson!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magnificent! Thanks very much for showing so clearly how it was done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! You have transformed what I considered to be a boring ring into a stunning pendant! I plan to try this some day. I don't know why I've hesitated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane...do you want me to send some of them back so you can try? Don't be afraid to try.

      Delete
    2. I actually have some pieces that I've been saving for embellishment. I just haven't taken the time to try. I'll have to look and see if I kept any of the rings for myself. I'm pretty sure I did!

      Is it difficult to come up with ideas when you have multiples of the same piece? I really enjoy seeing all the beautiful pieces you embellish!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I don't have problems with multiples. Some embellishments want to be dressed up several ways. The rings are one of them. Just finished another ring with a slight change. Have another design for the ring but working out a bracelet to go with the one I just finished. Will post the latest soon.

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Diane, for the inspiration and encouragement as well as the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's great and I have some wonderful books you have published too :)

    ReplyDelete